# Sigma Mathematics Support Centre
Based on the ground floor of the Coventry University Library, the Sigma Mathematics Support Centre provides free support for all Coventry students seeking to improve their knowledge and understanding of mathematics or statistics, irrespective of course or faculty.
Coventry was one of the very first Universities to offer its students mathematics support. Its purpose is to supplement the maths teaching in their courses and to make good any gaps in their background knowledge.
# What the Sigma team offers Coventry students
- hour-long mathematics appointments for students needing in-depth help
- computer-based learning materials and diagnostic tests; paper/electronic worksheets on full range of mathematics topics
- paper/electronic worksheets on some statistics topics
- access to core module textbooks
- advice and training for employers’ numeracy tests
- dedicated dyslexia/dyscalculia support
- appointment-based statistics support for final year undergraduates
- statistics workshops for staff and postgraduate students
- help for the Teachers’ Numeracy test and with quantitative reasoning selection tests.
- a drop-in centre in the Library open 7 days a week in term time;
- a superbly-appointed room with valuable online and hard-copy resources on hand;
- a team of friendly tutors who are skilled teachers and include experts in most areas where maths is used;
- free access for students across all degree programmes and subject areas;
- no bookings required – just walk in and seek help whenever the Centre’s open;
# Statistics Advisory Service
An important part of Sigma’s provision is its Statistics Advisory Service (SAS). SAS offers the following:
statistics experts available for drop-in help at specified times in the Support Centre hour-long appointments for advanced students needing advice on experiment design and data analysis; series of workshop covering a wide range of basic statistical techniques aimed at research students and academic staff. hands-on sessions for Numerical Reasoning, mainly aiming to help students prepare for the job recruitment process;
# Opening hours
During term time, the Mathematics Support Centre is typically open weekdays Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 09:00-19:00, Wednesday and Friday 09:00-18:00 and on Saturdays 13:00-17:00.