Help centre

# Register with a GP

You will need to register with a GP service before you can book an appointment to see a doctor or nurse. It is important that you register with a GP as soon as you arrive in London so that it is easier for you to book an appointment if you become unwell.


GP stands for 'General Practitioner'. They are doctors who work in the community to treat people with minor or chronic (ongoing) illnesses. They can also refer you to a hospital if you need more specialised care.

# Register with Holborn Medical Centre

We reccommend that you register with Holborn Medical Centre (opens new window). We work in partnership with them because they provide free NHS medical health care that suits the needs of students. Use the Google map route (opens new window) to find them and get travel information.


Remember, you can only be registered with one medical practice at any one time.

# Complete the online registration form

Fill out the student online registration form (opens new window) to register. You will only be able to book appointments once you have completed registration.

# Find other medical services near you

Use the NHS Service website (opens new window) to find other GP practices near you.

This website also locates your nearest:

  • Pharmacy
  • Dentist
  • Accident and Emergency (Hospital)

999 is theĀ emergency phone number for ambulance, police or fire services. If you feel unwell but it is not an emergency, you can also call 111 for medical advice.

# Get health care information as an International student

If you are an international student, go to the UKCISA website (opens new window) for useful information about registering with a doctor (GP).

You may not need to pay out-of-pocket to see your GP or access other selected services. This is because you have paid for some of the UK Health Service when you made your visa application (either in the UK or overseas). If you paid a health surcharge as part of making your visa application, you can see your GP free of charge.

# Take your BRP card and/or IHS reference number to your appointments

You need to take your BRP card or Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) reference number (which starts with the letters 'IHS') when you use the UK health services so that you are not charged twice.


The health charge you have already paid does not cover all of the services the NHS provides, such as prescriptions,dental treatment and eye tests. Email International Student Services to check other services that are not covered by your IHS.

Last updated: 17/08/2023, 10:47:42