Help centre

# EU Withdrawal and the EU Settlement Scheme

On 31 January 2020, the UK left the EU and entered a transition period until the end of 2020. Keep up-to-date with EU withdrawal-related news by going to the EU Withdrawal guidance page (opens new window) on the website.

# Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme

# Who should apply?

EU/EEA and Swiss citizens, and their family members, who are resident in the UK prior to 1 January 2021 will not require a visa and will be eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme to protect their UK residency status.


If you are moving to the UK to start full-time studies at Coventry University and CU Group after 31 December 2020, you need a Student Visa in order to study at the University and will not be eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Find out more about how to enrol online if you are an EU student on a Student Visa (opens new window).

# What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

The scheme is designed to enable EEA and Swiss nationals to continue living in the UK longer-term with the same access to work, study, benefits and public services.

The settlement scheme is not only for those who intend to settle in the UK after studying. It is immigration permission, which can lead to settlement, but does not have to be used to gain settlement. With permission under the scheme, there will be no restrictions on where you study or what you study.

The EU Settlement Scheme will grant you either settled or pre-settled status:

Settled status

If you have lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, referred to as 'settled status'. This status enables you to continue living in the UK permanently. You can still apply if you have had absences from the UK during the 5 year period of up to 6 months in any 12 month period, or one period of up to 12 months in certain circumstances including serious illness or study. Find out more about absences from the UK and exceptions here (opens new window).

Pre-settled status

You can apply for limited leave to remain on the basis of residing in the UK prior to 1 January 2021. This is referred to as 'pre-settled status'. Once you have pre-settled status, you can apply for settled status once you have met the 5-year continuous residence period.

You will not be asked to choose which status you are applying for in the application. The status you get will depend on how long you have been living in the UK when you apply.

Irish citizens are not required to apply under the scheme (opens new window) in order to remain in the UK.

# How do I apply?

It is a free online application (opens new window). The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021 but to be eligible under the scheme you must be resident in the UK prior to 1 January 2021. This deadline does not apply if you already had pre-settled status and are applying for settled status.

# How you can prove your identity

There are three options to do this:

  • use the 'EU Exit: ID Document Check' (opens new window) app which scans the biometric chip in your passport or national identity card and can be used to take your photo. You will need either an Android phone or an iPhone 7 or above to complete this step. Once you have used the app to check your document and take the photo, you can complete the application online on the phone or using a computer.
  • send your passport or national identity card to the Home Office by post. Using this option, you will need to complete the online application first. You can upload your photo as part of this. At the end of the application you will be provided with an address to send your document.
  • visit one of the locations (opens new window) to have your document scanned. You will need an appointment and may have to pay a fee.

# Prove your residency in the UK

You will be able to upload this evidence as part of the online application. Students can use a student status letter as evidence of current residency in the UK in order to apply for pre-settled status. If you are proving 5 years’ continuous residency in the UK to apply for settled status you can use a dated and signed letter from the institution confirming registration, attendance and, if applicable, completion on a course of study with the relevant dates. If you have a National Insurance number and worked in the UK, the online form will undertake an automated check of UK tax records to establish residency for that period of time. Information on other acceptable evidence of residency (opens new window) is provided by the Home Office.

# What you will receive

When you have been granted the status, you will not be issued a physical document unless you are a non-EEA family member and you do not already have a BRC. You will be emailed a link to an online service for the status to be verified online. Your status will be attached to the passport you use in your application so if you get a new passport, you will need update your details online (opens new window). You can also update your mobile phone number, email address, name or change the ID document attached to your status, if these change.

# Get more information

You are advised to read the information on the EU Settlement Scheme on the website (opens new window).

The UK Council of International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has information for students on the EU Settlement Scheme (opens new window).

# Enrolment for EU/EEA and Swiss Students

If you are an EU student coming to the UK on a Student Visa, please email for further guidance on the steps you’ll need to take to enrol.

If you are have already got settled or pre-settled status, please send proof of this to (If you haven't done this already).

If you have already sent proof of your settled or pre-settled status, you should receive an enrolment link sometime from 6 - 11 January. If you don't receive a link to enrol during this time, please contact

# Contact the EU Settlement team at Coventry

If you need more information about your current status and how it relates to your course at Coventry, please email

Last updated: 26/09/2023, 12:56:46